List:       log4j-user
Subject:    RE: Question about having a distributed log4j/Chainsaw environment, receiver/appender combo
From:       "Scott Deboy" <sdeboy () comotivsystems ! com>
Date:       2006-02-28 16:35:34

Yes, use LogFilePatternReceiver (or write all events to a database) to get history.

Yes, it's a good idea to avoid potentially blocking appenders/receivers in \
production.

If you create a Chainsaw config file that includes a receiver AND an appender, you'll \
notice that the appender will receive all of the events that are 'received' by the \
receiver.

This capability can be exploited to pull events from one environment to another \
(LogFilePatternReceiver & FileAppender used together would cause remote log files to \
be written locally).  Again, this has drawbacks because of rollover issues.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201