List:       log4j-user
Subject:    RE: SNMP Appender
From:       "Schuhmacher, Bret" <Bret.Schuhmacher () aspect ! com>
Date:       2004-10-28 12:01:57

Yes, there is already an SNMPTrapAppender for Log4J.  Check out \
http://www.m2technologies.net/html/doc/org/apache/log4j/ext/package-summary.html

This code uses either Wengsoft SNMP or JoeSNMP libraries to send SNMP traps.  I just \
used it in my last project.  It sends SNMP v1 traps just fine, although we never got \
SNMPv2c traps working properly, at least not with IBM Netview as the recipient.

As far as estimating times on a project goes, if you can use Log4J to write to a file \
now, it's a piece of cake getting SNMPTrapAppender working.  Get the plumbing right \
(files in the right places, proper log4j.xml file) and it just works, as long as \
you're okay with SNMP v1 traps, or sending SNMPv2c to something other than IBM \
Netview.

Rgds,

Bret