List:       log4j-user
Subject:    Socket descriptor leak in SyslogAppender?
From:       Ian Reilly <iwreilly () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-10-26 17:29:00

Hi,
      I am using log4j 1.2.8 with the SyslogAppender and my application calls the \
following code periodically to pick up any configuration changes:
Properties prop = ...
LogManager.resetConfiguration();
PropertyConfigurator.configure(prop);

     Each time this code is called, the application leaks DatagramSockets.  I get the \
same behavior if the call to resetConfiguration() is removed.
     If I make the following changes to log4j, the problem goes away:
- in SyslogAppender close(), call sqw.close() before setting it to null
- in SyslogWriter close(), call ds.close()

     Am I missing something obvious?

Ian