List:       log4j-user
Subject:    RE: JMSReceiver - chainsaw
From:       Paul Smith <Paul.Smith () lawlex ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-05-25 22:43:52

> I'm now trying to evaluate the JMSReceiver - someone here
> raised the issue that the SocketHubAppender/Receiver is not
> password protected, and also there are concerns over the
> possible performance impact if lots of people decide to
> connect for remote monitoring over a (potentially) slow
> network connection. I'm hoping that I can address these
> points by switching to JMS.
>
> Problem is, org.apache.log4j.net.JMSReceiver doesn't get
> distributed with the webstart chainsaw jars as far as I can
> tell (and I'm having problems accessing apache cvs at the moment).
>
> Is there a particular reason why the JMSReceiver isn't part
> of the distribution?

Stephen, I have recently committed a change so that JMSReceiver is included
as a 'known' Receiver, but I have NOT created and uploaded a new Web start
version as yet.

I am wondering whether you could do me a favour and test this change from
CVS?  You should be able to do this easily if you have not already got a
local cvs copy:

* downloand the ant install script available from the chainsaw page on the
website and run it so you have the local copy.

* Make sure you copy the build.properties.sample file -> build.properties
and edit it so that the 'jms.jar' property points to your jar containing the
jms stuff. (or chuck the jar in your system classpath, which you will need
to do anyway for the web start version).

* ant chainsaw

Hopefully you will see that the JMSReceiver is then picked up as a known
receiver and you can create it.  If this proves successful, then I will go
ahead and create and sign a web start version.

Let me know how you go.

cheers,

Paul Smith