List:       log4j-user
Subject:    Re: log4j fighting with commons-logging in Tomcat 4.1.24
From:       Nathan Coast <nathan () codeczar ! com>
Date:       2003-07-28 0:53:02

If the log4j classes aren't available to the servlet container then
tomcat will use jdk1.4 logging for its logging (or some commons-logging
default implementation if not available).  If you then only make log4j
available to your webapps (place the jar in WEB-INF/lib) then logging
will only be configured by your web-app, ie place your propertis in
WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

hope this helps