List:       log4j-user
Subject:    Question about late localisation
From:       "Pruente Kai" <Pruente () ssi-schaefer-noell ! com>
Date:       2003-07-23 13:04:43

Hi,

I have a question and suggestion about localisation.
I already found some similar request, but no answer in the mailing list.

Log4j provides the l7* methods for localisation.
However theses methods are converting the key directly into the localised message. I \
am thinking about having two different localisations for the developers in English \
and for other users in their native language for the same message by two appender. \
That means, that the localisation must be done within the appender.

What do you think about this requirement?

Therefor following changes are necessary:

LoggingEvent needs aditional attributes for key, parameters and resourceBundle and a \
                method isLocaliseable(), to take the localisation infos.
Category: an additional forecdLocalisedLog() which uses the new LoggingEvent \
constructor Appender:The old appender are working without changes, new appender might \
get an optional localisation string like 'en' or 'de'.

Before I am startting with the adaptions, I am intersting in your opinion.
Could it be a more common requirement or is it a strange thought of a single person?
Is the above draft changes sensible?

Bye
Kai