List:       log4j-user
Subject:    RE: Remote logging
From:       Mark Womack <mwomack () bevocal ! com>
Date:       2003-02-23 17:54:32

Timo,

This is what SocketHubAppender does.  It allows clients to "connect" to the
source of events instead of having events targeted at a specific location.
This allows more flexibility on the server side as to where events are sent.

Unfortunately, current LF5 and Chainsaw do not support SocketHubAppender out
of the box in v1.2.X.  I have posted patches to Chainsaw to support
SocketHubAppender.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=102511373124806&w=2

In log4j v1.3, things will become much easier with the advent of Receivers.
These take the place of specialized code in Chainsaw and LF5 and allow
configuration of "sources" of events.  So, there is are SocketHubReceiver
and JMSReceiver classes in v1.3 that receiver events from their matching
appenders.

-Mark