List:       log4j-dev
Subject:    Re: log4j2 sandbox
From:       Ralph Goers <ralph.goers () dslextreme ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 16:21:51

From that description our approaches have indeed been complimentary.  I saw problems \
in the fundamental core of Log4j and SLF4J/Logback that are in the API, configuration \
and filtering.  I've always considered the Appender and Layout concepts to be more or \
less OK, except how they were infringed upon by the core (i.e. callAppenders is \
synchronized).  The only significant impact my changes have made to those areas was \
to make the converters pluggable - PatternLayout does not need to be modified to add \
new ones.  The work done on EnhancedPatternLayout was essential to be able to do \
that.

I believe we both have agreement that the API should be separate from the \
implementation. I'm not sure we completely agree on what it should look like.  To be \
honest, I'm still not completely happy with it as I'd like to see an annotation/AOP \
way of injecting logging wherever possible.

If there is a plan it is for Curt and me to continue working on our forks while \
reviewing each others code. Hopefully he will borrow from my code base and I from \
his.  I'm also hoping others will join in and contribute.

Ralph