List:       log4cxx-dev
Subject:    Encoding/Decoding changes and Solaris builds
From:       Curt Arnold <carnold () apache ! org>
Date:       2007-04-04 6:46:39

With the recent changes committed against LOGCXX-167 and LOGCXX-178,
the GNU make build on Solaris using gcc 3 appears to succeed and the
example programs appeared to work.  It wasn't producing an unit test
executable, but that might have been due to my not installing
cppunit.  The Ant build failed when I attempted to use it with the
Sun Studio compilers.  I will have to revisit the results with gnu
make and the Sun Studio compilers and Ant with gcc3.

Some additional work needs to be done around the getDefaultEncoder
particularly when an APR decoder is used.  Currently the first
attempt to decode a char* to logchar* will set the decoder for the
rest of the session.  Since that will likely occur during a call to
Logger::getLogger("...") in a static initializer, the application's
locale will likely not have been set by an explicit call to
setlocale.  Could use a distinct decoder for the getLogger() call or
make an encoder that tracks changes in the locale.  However, the
latter could have a fairly high overhead.

I'm going to need to set up some new virtual machines for
development, I've hosed about every one other than my new Solaris 10
VM and I am not up and running with an IDE there.  That will likely
consume most of tomorrow.  It looks like things compile at the moment
on Win32, Linux and Solaris, but could be a little sketchy.