List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    Re: Re: [load balancing] Re: Help with Alteon 2208 configuration
From:       Ken Thurman <ken_thurman () alltel ! net>
Date:       2007-01-09 14:39:52

Hi Qian,

  First let me ask did my suggestion resolve the problem? It   was historical for the \
Alteon/Nortel loadbalancer to not allow using a VIP address as a proxy/NAT address, \
this was introduced in version 22 when they separated the proxy processing from the \
SP's. So it may very well be a design funtion that if there is no services available \
for the VIP then the switch would not respond to the VIP address even for proxy/NAT \
processing. That is why I suggested that you us a different NAT address than the VIP. \

As for your understanding of the flow, you are pretty much correct, except it is a \
little more complicated than that. When doing a MANY to ONE NAT  the switch will \
replace both the source port and source IP address of the request, and filter 14 says \
to replace any source as long as it is not destined for the 10.10.10.0/23 network. So \
in the case of SLB processing Server processing happens before filter processing so \
when accessing the VIP on a service port the switch will first translate the private \
address to the VIP then when it does filter processing it will try and NAT it again, \
which will change the source port from 80 or whatever the service was that was \
responding. This is why you needed the filter 10 to exempt packets that are from the \
VIP from being NAT'ed by filter 14.
   Does this make sense? If you want to verify the behavior of using a many to one \
NAT with same address as the VIP when there are no services up on the  VIP, then you \
should call Nortel support. It could be that it's not a design function but just a \
bug. In any case if you change the NAT address to some other public address it should \
work as you want it to. There is no reason that I can think of that you would need to \
source your private servers requests to the internet from the VIP address, it might \
be more convient if you are doing  both inbound SMTP and outbound SMTP but not a \
requirement.

Regards,

Ken Thurman