List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    Re: [load balancing] GSLB mechanisms
From:       "Brant I. Stevens" <branto () branto ! com>
Date:       2004-12-28 16:12:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

The TLD servers for .com will have a list containing the names of the
server(s) authoritative for example.com.  They will return the entire list
of authoritative servers for a given domain, and then queries all the
servers returned in the list, and uses the one with the lowest RTT.

Let¹s say that list is ns01.example.com and ns02.example.com.  The servers
ns01.example.com and ns02.example.com must have A records for themselves.
These servers should have a delegation of authority for the sub-domain
www.example.com to your Alteon devices (alteon-site-a.example.com and
alteon-site-b.example.com).

At this point your Alteon would need the proper A-record configured to hand
out for client requests ( the IP addresses you want to use for
www.example.com at each site).  I can¹t help you with the specifics of
configuration of that box, but hopefully I answered your first question.

As far as GSLB in general is concerned, please take a look at the following
http://www.tenereillo.com/GSLBPageOfShame.htm

Very eye-opening.