List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    [load balancing] Real Server Addport LB query
From:       "Richard Golding" <richard.golding () omnetica ! com>
Date:       2004-06-15 21:52:58

I have a query regarding the LB decision when the Real Server AddPort
command is used.

i.e.

Virtual server state:
  1: 100.100.100.1,   00:0e:62:f6:fd:3e
    virtual ports:
    http: rport 0, group 1, backup none
        real servers:
          1: 20.20.20.1, backup none, 1 ms, up
          1: 20.20.20.1:81, up
          1: 20.20.20.1:80, up

I noticed that, even though the metric used was hash, connection
requests (from the same client)  to VIP 100.100.100.1 would round robin
between ports 80 and 81 of real server 20.20.20.1.

Is this normal behaviour? I would have expected requests from the same
client would be LB'd to the same Real Server port each time?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Omnetica are recognised as the experts for enterprise networks. By combining business \
insight with network know-how, we help customers select, deploy and manage robust \
networking solutions that create value, enhance return on investment and accelerate \
the achievement of business objectives. For further information visit \
http://www.omnetica.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely \
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received \
this e-mail in error you should not disseminate, distribute or copy it. Please notify \
the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence \
of computer viruses. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure \
that this email and any attachments are free from the presence of viruses. Omnetica \
accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email \
                or its attachments.