List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    Re: [load balancing] Alteon 180e, connect to virtual IP with a  real-server
From:       "Jeroen" <quagga () muntinternet ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-30 14:32:58

RE: [load balancing] Alteon 180e, connect to virtual IP with a
real-server>Just to clarify, do you want to connect to a vip and get sent to
a server in a group, then from one of those real >severs, connect to the
same vip and get load balanced again?

>If that is what you want, then I don't *think* it is supported for a couple
of reasons. The firstly being that you run the risk of being NAT'd to
yourself and ended up with a packet with the same destination and source and
the other reason is that you have already been load balanced.

Yes that is exactly what we want and what I'm discussing, I really believe
that it is NOT possible because of the above (the loop), and someone else is
pointing to the manual and saying that it is there and that it should work.

>you should just connect to the HTTP service locally, which should give you
basically the same degree of load distribution. But if you have another
reason that I haven't considered you do have a couple of options.
>You can use PIP to full-nat the traffic or create different VIPs, each with
their own groups of servers not >containing the likely client, not the most
elegant solution, but workable.
>Usually the best bet is to connect locally and tie the two services
together, that way if one service fails, the whole >real server is removed
from load balancing. You don't really miss out on any load balancing
advantages as that is >performed on the initial request.

That is not possible, the script is web-based and is started from a client.
Then the script starts analysing the content on it's own VIP.

>I hope that helps,
Believe me, you did, I would like to hear how others think about your (and
mine) opinion.

>Richard.

Jeroen