List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    RE: RE: [load balancing] SLB - SSL Accelerator - Web I/O Accelerator evaluation
From:       "Andy Gravett" <ag () htl ! uk ! com>
Date:       2003-11-27 9:18:11

Hi guys,

I thought I would just contribute a little on the use of Internel/external SSL \
offload.

I agree that external offload does make sence if you are planning to scale SSL \
greatly, but by adding more units you increase TCO, as there are more units to manage \
and configure, you add more points of failure (interlinks) and may as Pete pointed \
out not increase throughput(time will be added to a packet trip in the passing \
process), integrated daughter boards (made by broadcom in most cases)can be addressed \
at code level in an integrated product so if the code used is designed well and on \
the money! the SSL offload wil run at an optimum this also allows for other fancy \
stuff like compression of https traffic and frontend and backend SSL encrypt /decrypt \
and central managment of all SSL certs and keys etc.

And at the end of the day if SSL does scale massively you can always buy an bigger \
offloader and balance SSL off to the new unit.

Regards

Andy Gravett

Technical Director www.HTLSecure.net