List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    RE: [load balancing] BigIP and firewalls
From:       "Chuck Adkins" <Chuck.Adkins () theice ! com>
Date:       2003-02-10 16:27:51

The only thing that pops out to me is the management of the BIGIPs via
valid addresses.  If you are going to have a valid address listening to
443 and/or 22 - I would be careful.  There was a fairly recent spat of
both open_ssl and apache bugs found in the last couple of months (and
some exploit code specific to bsd if I remember correctly).

That said - at a previous company we used our BIGIPs specifically as you
are indicating.  They acted not only as the LBs but also served as the
FWs.  I ran that setup for about 2.5 years and we never had any security
incidents.  It is notable that a colleague still at that company told me
that those BIGIPs were affected by the recent SQL Slammer.  Without the
FWs in front he wasn't able to filter out the SQL and they became
overwhelmed with traffic - however if the FW team wasn't quick enough
this would have happened even with a FW.  If you are able to have some
kind of private management network for the BIGIPs - I would say this is
a pretty good cost-effective implementation.

Chuck