List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    Re: [load balancing] F5 BigIP Software software upgrade
From:       "Chris Kirby" <ckirby () solaristech ! com>
Date:       2003-01-18 19:26:32

F5 told me that they did not start including the media until later versions
of the BigIP. The boxes I am interested in buying are version 3.2.3PTF-01
and media was not included with this version. They were very clear to me on
the phone yesterday that I cannot obtain replacement media without having a
valid current support contract in place. I am more than willing to pay for a
small fee for replacement media for the same version the box already has,
but they said this would not be possible to do. I am also willing to pay a
larger fee for a 4.x upgrade but was told again that a support contract is
needed and from what I'm reading on here, this will cost around $6,000 CDN.
I am not expecting anything for free, that would be totally unfair. I was
just surprised/disappointed to hear from F5 Sales that I'd have to buy a
full blown support contract just to obtain replacement media for the same
version of software that I already have.

Although I understand why contracts are needed for an actual software
upgrade, I would be willing to pay a lower fee if there was a
"software-only" support contract available. Does anyone know if there is
such a thing? I don't mean to be beating this topic to death (grin), but we
really love the F5 product line and have the means to acquire a working HA+
solution, but we cannot afford to buy a full blown support contract at this
time. But we also don't want to be in a situation where if a hard drive
fails, we are unable to buy our own hard drive replacement and re-install
the software ourselves.

Does anyone know if it is possible (technically and legally speaking) to buy
another hard drive and back up the existing hard drive to it using a sector
copier such as Ghost or something? This spare hard drive would only be used
in the event that a hard drive failed in the BigIP and needed replacement.
The boxes are approaching 3 years in 6 months so this is a real possibility.

Thanks for all of your help and info everyone...

Chris.