List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    RE: [load balancing] Question about Wildcard certificates, DNS CN	AME (alias) and SSL accelerators
From:       "Shawn Nunley" <shawn () nunleys ! com>
Date:       2002-12-19 23:43:19

Alex,

Yes, it really does come down to trust.  Without it, commerce will
grind to a halt.  SSL has been the killer ingredient to getting this
commerce engine started.

Why do we trust them?  Well, for one thing, we'd be dead in the water
if someone wasn't acting in the role of certificate authority and had
all of the consumer-friendly aspects of the model we have today.  That
isn't to say it's perfect.  There are some frightful problems, even
with today's SSL.  It's probably a good thing that these issues haven't
been hyped in the media, because it would have a devastating effect on
an already weak economy.  And for no good reason.  There is much less
real threat from an attacker being able to decrypt an SSL session than
there is from database break-ins where hackers nab 100,000 credit cards
at a time.  The real problem lies with negligent site operators who
don't keep up with patches and intrusion prevention/detection.

-Shawn