List:       loadbalancing-l
Subject:    [load balancing] Problem with AceDirector 184 WebOS 9.0.38
From:       Mathias.Herberts () iroise ! net
Date:       2002-03-22 9:06:07

Hi, I have the following set up currently in production :

    +---------------+
    | Reverse Proxy |
    +---------------+

    +---------------+
    |    Alteon     |
    +---------------+

    +---------------+
    |  Web Servers  |
    +---------------+

The    client   connect    to    the   Reverse    proxy   (Apache    +
mod_rewrite/mod_proxy), the mod_proxy connects to a VIP on the Alteon,
and the Alteon connects to one of the web servers (using a PIP).

When the  clients are  over a  slow link and  the data  to be  sent is
around 100kb (and over) the  TCP session between the reverse proxy and
the Alteon seems to be dropped by  the alteon (I see RST / RST-ACK TCP
packets when I sniff). When the clients download the same amount of data
over fast links (DSL/Cable) there is no problem.

What we see  in the Web Servers  log is the full amount  of data being
sent  to the  Alteon, but  in the  reverse proxy  we only  see partial
content (size  is lower)  being sent to  the client.  Apache mod_proxy
logs a 'Broken Pipe' error in its log.

Our set-up has  been working fine for years  without alteons (i.e. the
reverse proxy directly  connects to the Web Server),  the problem only
appeared when we added the alteons in the path.

We also HAVE to use PIPs on the Alteons.

Anybody aware of  this kind of problem? Are there  any buffers I could
check on the Alteon?

Thanks,

Mathias.

--
--  Credit Mutuel de Bretagne  --  DST / Reseaux et Systemes Distribues
--  32 rue Mirabeau -- Le Relecq-Kerhuon -- 29808 Brest Cedex 9, FRANCE

--
Ce message et  toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres  le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.