List:       lm-sensors
Subject:    [lm-sensors] About fancontrol: I could not control the CPU fan
From:       hanyongkui99 () gmail ! com (Yongkui Han)
Date:       2006-10-31 3:51:10

Hi All,

I just found the following information on page 43 of the motherboard manual.
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv/A6514501.pdf

--------------------------
1.14.2.2 Fan Connectors
The D850MD and D850MV boards have two fan connectors with thermal control
signals (fan 1
and fan 2) that are used to switch the fans on and off as determined by the
thermal sensors.
The ambient temperature of a D850MD- or D850MV-based system is thermally
monitored by
separate temperature sensors that control voltage to the fan 1 and fan 2
connectors. If the fans
attached to these connectors provide a tachometer signal, the sensor reports
the fan speed to the hardware monitor component.
The temperature sensors that control the fans are initialized by the BIOS at
power-up to turn on only when the sensor reaches 36 oC (96.8 oF). The fans
switch off when their respective sensors cool down to 31 oC (87.8 oF). This
prevents the fans from turning off and on when the ambient air around the
sensor fluctuates around 35?36 oC. When the fans switch on, they may appear
to rotate slowly because the fan's duty cycle starts at 70 percent and rises
to 100 percent when the sensor reaches 46 oC (114.8 oF).
Table 12 summarizes the functions of the four fan connectors.
Table 12. Fan Connector Descriptions

Feature                          Processor Fan       Fan 1
 Fan 2                       Fan 3
+12 V DC connection       Yes                      Yes
Yes                         Yes
Tachometer output           Yes                      No
Yes                         No
Controllable                     No
Yes                    Yes                         Yes

In the Table 12, It says the Processor Fan is not controllable, although the
other fans are controllable.

So this means that I cannot control the CPU fan speed. But it seems that we
could do some tricks to make the system think the thermal sensor is higher
than 46C. Then the CPU fan speed should run at full speed. Then this is what
I want, a fixed CPU fan speed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Yongkui