List:       llvm-dev
Subject:    Re: [LLVMdev] Shouldn't tools and projects in .gitignore go to .gitmodules?
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2014-03-11 4:15:43

>> I think it is erroneous to have the subrepository projects and tools lis=
ted in .gitignore.
>> =

>> Instead of being ignored, methinks they should be listed as submodules i=
n .gitmodules:
> =

> After working with submodules in Boost, the current situation for llvm is=
 much better. The directory structure is purely due to build system concern=
s and is largely unrelated to source control concerns. 		 	   		  =

I understand, but as things are, for one to actually use git with llvm subp=
rojects checked out within the tree, one has to add those submodules manual=
ly. Having them listed as submodules does not force a pull, it only enables=
 one to pull them when desired. This is especially handy when using fronten=
ds to git.

Fixing it would give git users a helping hand with no ill effects. If someo=
ne wants not to pull the submodule within the tree, and wants to, say, use =
clang or lldb out-of-tree, it=92s fine.

Cheers, Kuba