List:       llvm-dev
Subject:    [LLVMdev] Problem with Hello World Pass
From:       John Criswell <criswell () cs ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       2003-07-10 17:38:01

Dear Nick,

	We've figured out what is going on with your "Hello World" pass and
have implemented a temporary solution.

	Basically, our build rules in Makefile.common built shared objects with
the Solaris linker (via libtool).  While it built the shared library,
the library did not call C++ constructors of global variables.  This, in
turn, caused the pass registration to fail.

	Our temporary solution is to build shared objects directly with g++
(bypassing libtool).  This gives the correct behavior.

	The modification is checked into our CVS tree in the prerelease-10
branch.  It has only gotten limited testing, so it should be considered
a temporary solution.  To get the new Makefile.common, you can issue the
following command:

	cvs update -r prerelease-10 Makefile.common

	Please let us know if you have any more problems with the Hello World pass.

-- John T.