List:       lists-bincimap
Subject:    Re: [bincimap] cipher list argument
From:       Andreas Aardal Hanssen <bincimap () andreas ! hanssen ! name>
Date:       2003-04-22 23:16:21

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Bryan Christ wrote:
> Andreas,
> In your documentation, the "ca file" paramter is = "".  I currenlty have
> it pointing to /etc/openssl/cacert.pem where "cacert.pem" is the root CA
> certificate I created for myself.  Is that correct?

The CA file is supposed to be a list of certificate authorities, such as
the bundled ca-bundle.crt that comes with Red Hat. This is from what I
understand used to verify the client certificate (when verify peer = yes).
                                                                                      \
 Your cacert.pem file may be a pem encoded CA file, and if it is, then that
should work. By default, the CA file is set to "" simply because verify
peer by default is also "no".
                                                                                      \
 Usually, the server will have verify peer = no. This means that during the
initial SSL/TLS handshake, only the server's certificate is validated by
the client. In that case, all the server needs is a PEM encoded
certificate file (as generated by make server.pem in /usr/share/ssl/certs
when using Red Hat).
                                                                                      \
 Hope this helps,
                                                                                      \