List:       listar-support
Subject:    [LSupp] Re: Restrict
From:       "Rachel Blackman" <sparks () noderunner ! net>
Date:       2001-02-28 23:55:21

> Erhm, I'm afraid that there is no formalized standard now .. I couldn't
get an
> answer on the 'what is the standard' question either .. well, I did get a
few,
> I looked through mailinglists and newspostings, read some RFC and couldn't
> find anything conclusive.
>
> I do know that for instance MHonArc and Hypermail are respecting the

Their problem is simpler, though.

From Listar's standpoint...do I exclude X-No-Archive posts from digests?
Digests are often configured to be kept, on some sites... therefore it would
be archiving it.  Plus, a digested form of the list might be getting
archived somewhere else, and therefore the X-No-Archive post would be
archived in the digest somewhere (something I got complaints about when I
was trying to look into this before).

How about when you reply to an X-No-Archive post; should it check the
In-Reply-To and remember which posts?  I got a lot of people complaining
that X-No-Archive posts could be quoted - especially with people using
Microsoft Outlook and other packages that do the
include-entire-original-below quoting form - and therefore archived in
follow-ups, and they wanted all replies to unarchived posts to be
unarchived...

Ideas/suggestions are welcome, but the last time this particular topic came
up - on the original version of the listar list, back when everything was
still on just @nausicaa.net and listar.org didn't exist - it turned into a
flamewar I had to put out. :/

    --Rachel

--