List:       listar-support
Subject:    [LSupp] Re: Listar on small machines (Again:)
From:       "Rachel Blackman" <sparks () noderunner ! net>
Date:       2001-02-24 19:37:42

> a couple of days ago I posted to this list complaining
> about Listar doing bad on <this> small (P75/24Mo RAM)
> with lists of more than 1500 subscribers.

Just for those who are curious?  Until recently, listar.org itself ran on a
box with only 32M of RAM.  So I can guarantee that it would work on it. ;)

> I did some more tests  with a huge list :)
>
> # wc -l users
>  103440 users

That /is/ big.

> It took 'some time' to do the job :
> (about 2h10)

Unsurprising.

> megalist = true (Thanks Rachel)
> sort-tolist = off (we use Postfix :)
> smtp-queue-chunk = 50
>
> Then I have made another test on a <real list> with more than 6000 users
> and it takes 5 minutes. Great !

Yeah; the smtp-queue-chunk will make some difference with Postfix, though
not as much.  Megalist is what will make all the difference in the world for
you. :)

> Question :
>
> 19733 ?        S      0:13 /usr/lib/listar/listar -s mylist
> 19735 ?        Z      0:00 [listar <defunct>]
>
> is this <defunct> a problem or something I can expect every time ?

Ah, Listar creates a sub-process to handle archiving and digesting.  There
are a variety of reasons for it, and it cleans up the child process at the
end of the run; it displays 'defunct' after the child finishes but Listar
hasn't collected it back yet.  Ignore it. :)

If it really bothers you, set 'digest-no-fork = true' in listar.cfg, and it
will perform the child process tasks in the main process; it just means
there's a slight hiccup in the delivery pattern while it works with building
the digest and handling the checks on whether or not to send to other users
(e.g. has the digest gotten over a certain size or has it been more than a
certain time since it was last sent).  It might be a /slight/ RAM savings to
disable the fork, though if Listar is built in DYNMOD mode, it shouldn't be
a significant one. :)

Hope that helps!

    --Rachel

--