List:       listar-support
Subject:    Re: [Listar-support] CC-list
From:       Jeremy Blackman <loki () maison-otaku ! net>
Date:       1999-05-31 20:16:36

On Mon, 31 May 1999, JT wrote:

> What cc-lists does is similar to that, but it doesn't use the CC: header
> to do it, rather it merges the lists of recipients from both lists and
> (assuming you are not in megalist mode) then removes the duplicates.

Here's the example.  We have, as you know, listar-support and listar-dev
lists.  There's also the listar-announce list.  People can subscribe to
listar-announce (though not post to it).  But listar-announce has:

cc-lists = listar-support:listar-dev

Meaning that when someone who does have posting rights on listar-announce
posts to it, the post goes to people on the listar-announce list -and-
people on the listar-dev list -and- people on the listar-support list.  If
we simply mailed to each of those lists separately, you'd get multiple
copies of it if you were on both listar-support and listar-dev.  However,
it removes duplicate addresses, thus being very uesful for announcement
stuff.

union-lists is good in other cases.  One listar user out there runs a list
which has a 'list-posting' in the union-list field.  People can subscribe
secondary and tertiary addresses to that secondary list.  The list itself
is closed-posting, but if you're on the list-posting list, you can post to
the main list (though you don't get copies of the mail).  Useful if you
send from a variety of addresses.

--Loki
  loki@maison-otaku.net / jeremy@lith.com / loki@lithtech.com