List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [listar-dev] Re: list admin help
From:       Martin Baehr <mbaehr () email ! archlab ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-07-10 3:11:53

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 06:53:54PM +0200, Martin Baehr wrote:
> > Other than those comments it looks reasonable :)
> > Yes, I'm too lazy to just go make those changes myself since I'd probably
> > mangle it somehow :)
> don't worry, i'll take care of it in the next few days...

find the updated file attached,

i am still not happy about the fact that a lot of the text is copied
from majordomo because of majordomos copyright, maybe you guys could help
me rewrite some phrases...

greetings, martin.
--
Life is not fair. But the root password helps.
--

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

Your mailing list has been established.  It is being served by an
automated mailing list manager that responds to commands emailed to
the "Listar address" listed above.  This message has all the details
of how to manage your list remotely using Listar.  If you have any
questions, refer them to the Listar-Owner address listed above.

There's a lot of info here, so please read this completely and
carefully, and save it for future reference.  If you have any questions,
you should send them to the Listar-Owner address above.

As soon as possible, please update the welcome and info files for your
list that someone will receive when they join or ask about your list.

you can receive those files by sending

  admin2
  getconf welcome
  getconf info
  adminend2

to the request-address.

see Communicating with Listar below on a discussion how to
change the filecontents...

You can issue a "who" command for your list to see who's already on your
list.

program called Listar.  Listar should free you from dealing
with most of the administrivia usually associated with running mailing
lists (adding users, dropping users, etc.).

To submit something to your list, you (or anybody else) should simply
mail it to the list posting address shown at the top of this file.

If somebody sends something to list request address shown above (which
is the traditional Internet way of being added to a mailing list), they'll
get back a message telling them if their commands are valid

To be added to your list, a user simply sends a message of the form

    subscribe

by email to the list request address shown above.

Listar understands several commands, and is not limited to a
single command per message (it will process commands until reaching
end-of-message or the command "end").  The command "help" will
give you a general introduction on how to comunicate with listar.
"commands" will tell you about all the other commands.

Configuring Your List
=====================

You should retrieve the configuration file for your list. To do this,
send an email message to the list request address listed at the top of
this form. The contents of this message should be:

        admin2
	getconf config
        adminend2

The configuration file is meant to be self documenting.
To change the configuration simply forward the message to the
listar address and make the appropriate changes in the message being
forwarded.

Communicating with Listar
=========================

You can send admin-commands to the request-address in the following form:

        admin2
	//put your commands here
        adminend2

You will receive a message with the Subject: Listar admin wrapper
containing a cookie that you need to send back to verify that you
are a list admin. the cookie will be valid a certain period of time
(usually 3 hours) and may only be used for one message only.
Simply forward the message to the listar address listed at the top.

to this listar will respond with the actual output of these commands.

if the commandoutput is a file, it will be wrapped in
putconf list cookie
// filecontents are here.
ENDFILE

change the contents as needed and send the mail back to listar.

Bounced Messages
-request address), because they are too long, or for any of a number of
other reasons.

Listar will forward these messages to you in another message whose
subject line contains with "Message submitted to 'list'

in the message you can read the reason, why it was bounced.

If you decide that the message is OK and should not have been bounced,
then you can cause Listar to post it anyway by forwarding the message
back to the lists repost address (NOT to the Listar address)

Moderation