List:       listar-dev
Subject:    Re: [listar-dev] Web interfaces, etc.
From:       Jeremy Blackman <loki () maison-otaku ! net>
Date:       1998-12-11 20:40:22

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> Check out www.lyris.com.  They have a free and commercial product, but I
> like the ideas they have with regards to web access, etc.

I like some of what they have, but other portions of it make me rather
'iffy'.  I suppose if I want to create Listargate properly for admin
stuff, I need to add an 'admin' password to lists, though that sort of
invalidates the whole purpose of the cookie-based authentication.  I guess
that's really up to the end-users; I prefer to do my administration over
the admin2/adminend2 method since I know I can't be spoofed that way, but
I also realize others may prefer a web interface. :)

I AM considering adding a set of 'LSG' hooks, though, so modules could
provide their own Listargate configuration modes, and I like the
statistics/accounting information Lyris provides.

I've considered writing a hypermail replacement anyway, so as to allow
integration into Listar.  (This would allow things like changing the MIME
decoder to have 'pluggable' handlers for MIME types, so an attachment of
type 'image/gif' would be decoded, placed in a web directory, and then the
URL of the GIF in that directory would be placed into the message
instead, both for going out to subscribers, AND it would be turned into an
HTML link in the archives.)  That would tie in nicely with Listargate, I
suppose.

--Loki