List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [listar-dev] Stripping attachments
From:       Jeremy Blackman <loki () maison-otaku ! net>
Date:       1998-12-02 21:04:13

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Matt Magri wrote:

> In the long run I'd prefer to test directly for attachment spoor,
> like certain MIME headers or "^begin [0]### somefilename". Personally,
> I like the option of being able to return a different stock reply
> based on the kind of attachment. That way I can ferret out the
> instructions for turning off particular things, like winmail.dat,

One thing I'm considering (though I haven't heard much feedback from users
yet)  is changing the MIME decryption to have MIME-type handlers.
Basically, text/plain types would be included as part of the message (as
they are now).  text/html would be turned into something readable.
Possibly text/rtf would also be turned into something readable.  You could
do other things, like have an image/gif handler that stuck the GIF in a
temporary web directory (deleting after x number of days) and replaced it
with the URL to the temporary web dir in the message, instead of an
attachment.  It would therefore be easy to write a module that accepted
certain mime types and returned instructions on how and why not to send
them to the list (like application/ms-tnef, one of my personal favs).

--Loki