List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [EDev] Re: To Trish, with love...
From:       Trish Lynch <trish () bsdunix ! net>
Date:       2004-04-25 14:29:08

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Luna Kid wrote:

> > LunaKid can't just fork and be done with it. Those who want feature bloat
> > and incompatibility issues in the right corner, those for stability and
> > tested code, that runs fast to the left please :)
> >
> > *smile*
>
>     "Smile" on what, please?
>
>     Because I find neither "forking", nor "code bloat", nor "portability issues"
>     amuzing. Do you?
>
>     Or what exactly are you smiling at? God forbid, do you just intentionally
>     misinterpret my previous *clear* statements?
>
>     Or is my non-mother-tongue English really so bad as to prevent some
>     of you understanding what I say? Then try reading again, that might still
>     help a bit:

	Actually, its that this is supposed to be fun. I don't spend my
time doing this for fame, and definitely not fortune. I do it for sheer
enjoyment. So if I can;t smile about you having made a fool out of
yourself over the past week, then what can I smile about?

	If you really have such different opinions, and the general
Ecartis userbase has spoken about what they think too, then maybe its time
to take the code and work on it yourself.

	See, I suggested several things it would have been best using your
time to fix, like documentation, code security audit, and even most
recently a "test suite".

	You still waste your time trying to convince people your vision
for Ecartis is right, so I say, again, if its so right, take the code and
run with it. Don't call it Ecartis, and give credit and copyright where it
is due, and I could care less :)

> What I wanted, tried and achieved (and stated) is quite simply:
>
>     Having the code compile both as C and C++
>
> This way we can keep all the advantages of C (unbeatable portability),
> and *still* gain from the strictness of C++. *Plus* (and I hope this
> *will* be read according to the letter, not according to various false
> preassumptions) this way the same codebase will suddenly have
> two alternative paths of future development, for free: C and C++.
>
> So, repeat after me:
>
>     Q: Can that hurt, please?
>     A: No, of course not.
>
> And:
>
>     Q: Can that help?
>     A: Of course it can. It already has.

So port it to C++, call it something else, and start distributing it. The
Ecartis development model and code has worked very well so far, and does
what we need it to do. Some stuff is accepted into the tree, and other
things can be kept as contributed code in a separate directory.

Facts remain, you're barking up the wrong tree by trying to convince me,
and many others that its worth using C++.

> Again, and again, and again:
>
>     * SORRY about my boldness, and "political" incorrectness and everything!
>
>             ** I have never, at all, wanted to hurt anyone, quite naturally! **
>
>     * (with *boldface*): I have not, ever, by a million years, meant to take
>        on any supposed secret conspiratory mission to "hijack the project"
>        and toss it to some C++ hell, with an evil grin on my green face...
>
>             (BTW, I don't even like C++, in fact, but this is, again, quite irrelevant.)
>
> Could you finally just stop this ranting on me for everything?
>
>     I admit (as I have done that already): I *unintentionally* and carelessly offended
>     some of you, when I mistakenly called Ecartis "dying". Since then, no matter
>     how many times I've said "sorry", how many times I stressed how much I *DO*
>     value all your work, as well as that of EACH and every contributor's, I receive
>     constant direct and indirect abuse in excahnge for my offering help to the project.
>
>     Now. Can you *EVER* get over it, or have I, unfortunately, caused permanent
>     damage to all of you with my mistaken email messages?!

The facts remain, you still continue to do so, you took it off -support to
-dev and kept making suppositions and "suggestions" that you refuse to
take "no" for an answer.

>     Yet again: "I have not, ever, by a million years, meant to take on any supposed
>     secret conspiratory mission to "hijack the project" and toss it to some C++ hell,
>     with an evil grin on my green face..."

Nobody's saying that, however, your lack of native english does not excuse
the lack of tact you also have, and continue to have through this
conversation. The sheer lack of social graces and etiquette has me
struggling to describe it.

>     Just telling that, as some here appear as to be watching a dumb cartoon
>     ("This week's Ecartoon: Our Heroes of Ecartis Against the Evil Luna Kid..."),
>     with me being the bad guy in it...

Hrrrm, maybe I should have Illiad...... *laugh*

>     I still hope it'll end soon and the lights go up finally.

It'll end when you concede that what you envision is not neccesarily the
vision of others, and you understand it. And when you contribute something
contructive to the project instead to spouting off your mouth and creating
a "Wiki" we didn;t ask for anyway ;)

I treated you with kid gloves to begin with, but this has gone on and on
too long. Its done, over. finis. I will not respond to anythign else, lets
get on with what we're here for.

-Trish

--
Trish Lynch					   trish@bsdunix.net