List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [EDev] Re: An experimental C++ port
From:       Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-100 () mega-nerd ! com>
Date:       2004-04-25 9:10:07

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:52:41 +0200
Matthias Kilian <kili@outback.escape.de> wrote:

> [Unlurking after a long time]
>
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:58:48AM +0200, Luna Kid wrote:
> > Eric, even though you are offending me publicly for no sensible reason,
> > I do reply.
>
> *Who* is offending *whom*?

I was sure it wasn't just me :-).

> Search the list archives. Take *any* open source project implemented in
> C++ and do a little research on portability problems between different
> platforms, different compilers and even different *versions* of a
> specific compiler.

The other thing is that Luna Kid fails to see that he might have
offended people.

To Luna Kid:

    You turn up on a list for an existing project and suggest porting
    it to C++. Now, turn it around. Imagine that you have an existing
    project coded in C++ and imagine someone shows up and suggests
    porting it to C. My guess is that you would fight that suggestion
    tooth and nail.

Damn, wouldn't it be a great practical joke to start subscribing to
the mailing lists of projects written in C++ and suggest that the
whole thing is ported to C ;-).

The strange thing is I have seen C++ people do this numerous times,
but I have never once seen a C coder suggest this for a project
already written in C++. Its nuts!!!!

Erik