List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: can anybody share experiences w/ EZMLM?
From:       Dave Sill <de5-list-managers () sws5 ! ctd ! ornl ! gov>
Date:       2000-01-07 20:41:26

I wrote:

>I've used majordomo+sendmail, majordomo+qmail, and ezmlm+qmail. I
>think ezmlm+qmail is the best in terms of performance, ...

And by that I mean both speed of delivery of a message to a list and
speed of updating a list. The former is largely a function of MTA
(qmail), the latter of the MLM (ezmlm).

Here's a sample of the delivery speed you can get with qmail. My list
server is an old Alphaserver 2100 that is also ORNL's netnews server
and internal anonymous FTP server. One list I host is
tru64-unix-managers, with ~1900 subscribers around the world. Here's
how one delivery this afternoon went:

 13:31:55: message received for list
 13:31:59: message resent to list
 13:32:01: qmail has spawned 400 qmail-remote processes (config'd max)
 13:33:20: qmail-remotes drop below 400, i.e., all subscribers'
           systems have been contacted
 13:33:22: qmail-remotes drop below 300
 13:33:29: qmail-remotes drop below 200
 13:34:18: qmail-remotes drop below 100
 13:36:35: qmail-remotes drop to 0, i.e., message has been delivered
           to all subscribers whose systems were reachable on the
           first try

Not too shabby, and I haven't even tried max'ing the remote
concurrency.

This is a Majordomo list with automatic bounce handling.

-Dave