List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: Krazy Kevin back at it again?
From:       "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb () harte-lyne ! ca>
Date:       1997-03-26 16:40:45

On 25 Mar 97 at 16:18, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> How much organization do we need? Simply by warning each other of
> problems, I think we're cutting a lot of the hassle. Maybe not solving
> the problems globally, bu I'll take local for now...

I would say that the closed+confirm option with Majordomo 1.94.1
has essentially done away with KK on my lists. And all those like
him.  In order to get on they have to give a valid e-mail address
that will respond in an intelligent way to the confirmation
request.   Bogus address and I don't even get to hear about the
attempt until I review the logs.

I'm sure that there are other ways of defeating this simple
mechanism, but all you have to do is drive the cost up enough and
the gain isn't worth the expense to them.  Like most criminal
minds, KK and his ilk are after a quick and easy buck.  Make it a
little difficult for them so that they have to work for it and most
of them will go away.

If you have Listserv or Majordomo, turn on the confirm request
option.  If you don't have either and what you are using to
manage your lists doesn't have that feature then get something that
does.

Regards,
Jim
---
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca  Canada L8E 3C3