List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re:  Re: List-Managers-Digest V4 #32
From:       Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request () pica ! army ! mil>
Date:       1995-02-23 9:13:15

>Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <rex!pica.army.mil!info-labview-request> writes:
>
>> >I already have a no-tolerance policy in place.  The problem is that AOL boun
>> >messages in such a volume that the damage is already done by the time I drop
>> >the user.  If 10 messages go out tomorrow to 3 AOL users who either have ful
>> >mailboxes or don't exist any more (30-day wonders), that means 30 bounce
>> >messages hit my system (and that of my mailhost's sysadmin) *before* my
>> >zero-tolerance policy kicks in.  Last Saturday, that situation happened
>> >with 8 AOL users, making for close to 80 messages.  Making sense now?
>>
>> No. If you had 8 .edu addresses with full mailboxes, that would still have
>> given you 80 bounces, right? Or 8 .mil addresses, or 1 .mil, 2 .gov, 1 .com
>> & 4 .oz? Or does the math work differently?
>>

>You've got the math right.  The catch is that I've never had that many people
>fill up their mailboxes on the same day as happens on AOL.  No domain on the
>net has ever generated as many bounce message for any reason in the three years
>I've been running my list than aol.com.  That's why I raised the issue--to see
>if my situation was unique.

Good for you. I have. It's a fact of life. Learn to live with it. Get a
better net connection. Switch to decaf. There are lots of solutions to this
"problem" and flaming AOL isn't one of them.

                  Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
                      <info-labview-request@pica.army.mil>
                http://k-whiner.pica.army.mil/info-labview.html