List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: Starting from scratch
From:       Michelle Murrain <mpmNS () hamp ! hampshire ! edu>
Date:       1995-01-05 19:31:50

On Thu, 5 Jan 1995 chuck@synchro.com (Chuck Cox) wrote:

> After a decade of yoeman service, it is time to retire Synchro, our 286
> Xenix system.  I figured I would replace it with a 486 box and one of
> those inexpensive CD-ROM Unixes (BSD, Linux, etc).
>
> My question to this group is: are any of the inexpensive CD-ROM-based
> Unixes better or worse than the others for supporting mailing lists,
> email, news, and Internet interfacing in general?
>
> I haven't picked a specific one yet, but I plan on installing one of the
> automated mailing list managers.  Do you know of any Unix CD-ROM that
> includes one? Are any of the cheap Unixes better or worse for porting
> any of the popular automated managers?

Well, I don't know about whether any of the inexpensive unixes include
list management software, but I can tell you about Linux.

We've got linux here on a 486, and we run a few lists, some simple smail
lists, and a couple using the software Smartlist. However, Linux is so
compatible, that I understand that any list managment software can run on
it. I know of folks running majordomo, and listproc on linux.In fact, just
about any software written for Unix works on Linux, and it's pretty fast.
There is no problem in terms of Linux being able to handle high volume
lists.

So, I'd check linux out. Besides it's FREE (or if you want to go CD-ROM -
pretty damn cheap). Can't beat that.

				Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.               email and finger:
School of Natural Science	       mpmNS@hamp.hampshire.edu
Hampshire College  		       mmurrain@family.hampshire.edu
Amherst, MA 01002