List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: citations/copyrights of ...
From:       David Casti <disc () vector ! casti ! com>
Date:       1994-09-26 21:34:55

On Mon, 26 Sep 1994, John P. Rouillard wrote:

> >	what is an accepted way to cite them?
>
> Check out the American Library Association citation standards manual
> (I think that is it. Ask a local reference librarian). I would follow
> the cite format for private letters, or a conversation. One that I
> have seen looks like:
>
>     Rouillard, John P., "Re: citations/copyrights of ...", via
> 	electronic mail on the <list> mailing list, 16:44EDT,
> 	September 26, 1994.
>
> Some of them have the email message id in place of the time
> stamp. The problem with email is that a simple date identifier may not
> be sufficient to distinguish a given message.

I would tend to encourage using a Message-ID as well, as that field is
known to be unique for each mailer.

Additionally, I've heard from people who wanted me to write a routine
that paginated their list traffic.  Evidently someone wanted to cite an
electronic journal and was told that such a citation would only be
acceptable if they could give a volume, issue, and page number.

> >	are they automatically copyrighted or can they be copyrighted?
>
> You can put a copyright in your message, but I am not sure what rules
> pertain in the absense of a copyright message. Then again, I am not
> positive that the copyright message is necessarily binding.

The truth of the matter is that *no one* knows.  There are a lot of
people who have shared a lot of speculation on this topic, but until a
case arrives in front of a judge somewhere -- there is no case law on
this matter.

David.