List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: RFD: comp.mail.list-admin.{policy,software}
From:       Brent () GreatCircle ! COM (Brent Chapman)
Date:       1994-09-15 3:43:27

At 19:27 9/9/94 -0400, L. Todd Masco wrote:
>In article <199409091914.PAA07030@alcor.concordia.ca> you write:
>>I disagree completely.  I subscribe to both mailing lists only *because*
>>they are not available as newsgroups.  I can read a newsgroup with the
>>full power of strn, including killfiles and scorefiles -- not to mention
>>I don't have to deal with messages twice when they are crossposted
>>correctly.
>
>Errr... why don't you set up local newsgroups and gateway mailing lists
>into them with newsgate, then?   That what we do here with roughly
>100 lists.  It's very nice, once it's set up.
>
>[Though to anybody who does this, I'd heavily recommend disabling INN's
> "check for included text vs. new text" 'feature'; otherwise, you'll
> lose messages without ever knowing it.]

Also, make sure you set up your mail-to-news gateway so that when it's
unhappy about something, the bounces come back to you, not to the list
owner, or even worse, the original poster of the message, or worst of
all, the list posting address.  Most of the really bad mailing list loops
I've encountered on my lists have been caused by mail-to-news gateways
gone wild.  Even if it's not looping, the list owner and/or the original
poster don't _care_ that your mail-to-news gateway rejected the article
for some reason (usually "too much included vs. new text").

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates  | Call or email for info about
Brent@GreatCircle.COM | 1057 West Dana Street    | upcoming Internet Security