List:       list-managers
Subject:    How do you deal with postings to "owner-listname"?
From:       Alan Millar <amillar () bolis ! sf-bay ! org>
Date:       1993-12-12 5:15:36

Hi-

I'm running several mailing lists with Majordomo.  I'm using the "resend"
script which modifies each message so that the envelope says the
message is from "owner-listname" instead of the original sender.

The "owner-" addresses are aliased to me, so I receive error notices
and bounces.  That way the list members and the sender don't have to
see them.

However, on a regular basis people will send a message for the list
to the owner- address instead of the list address.  This is probably
because they're using a lame MUA, but in actuality it doesn't really
matter why; it's just annoying.

If I feel like doing a little typing, sometimes I'll drop the poster
a note telling them what they did.  Usually I just use elm's "bounce"
command to send it along to the list.

How do other list owners deal with this?  Do you reply to them,
forward them, or just drop them?

What I'd really like is a little script that would read the headers to
see which "owner-...." address they sent it to, and then plug the
correct address into a reply telling them what they did wrong and
how to fix it.

Has anyone created one of these yet?  Any better suggestions?  Thanks!

- Alan

Alan Millar            amillar@bolis.SF-Bay.org              __oo  \
System Administrator                                           =___/
If only we were all weiner dogs, our problems would be solved!  -Brave Little Toaster