List:       linuxppc-embedded
Subject:    Re: PPC exception 0x320
From:       Becky Bruce <Becky.Bruce () freescale ! com>
Date:       2006-05-30 17:01:46

Jeanwelly,
I'd really like to help you here, but you still haven't explained  what you mean by \
"PPC alarmed exception 0x320".  Since there is no  such exception that I'm aware of \
on the 750, I'm trying very hard to  figure out what you mean, and it's impossible \
for me to do that  without more information from you.   I need to know exactly what \
it  is that you're seeing in order to help you.  If the kernel is  printing out a \
message, please include the *entire message* in your  email. Are you getting a \
message that says "Bad trap at PC: ....."? A quick mini-tutorial on PPC exceptions:  \
Whenever hardware detects  an exception condition, the hardware starts executing at a \
vector  location for that particular exception.  On the PPC 750, these  exception \
vectors are, for the most part, aligned at multiples of  0x100.  There is a list of \
exception vectors and their associated  causes in Table 4.2 of the User's manual (see \
below for a URL).  Some  exceptions are caused by software, and others, like the \
Decrementer  Interrupt, are generated by the hardware itself. There is often more  \
than one way to cause a particular exception. For example, a DSI exception can be \
caused by a miss in the hardware  page table, or by a load to a direct-store segment, \
among other  things.  *All* of these events will result in running the exception  \
vector starting at 0x300 because all of these conditions cause a  DSI.  Although \
there are multiple causes for DSI, they all go to the  same vector address.  The \
system software at that address must use  methods described in the user's manual to \
determine what kind of DSI  exception has occurred so it can handle the fault. While \
the hardware detects the exception, it is the job of the system  software to handle \
it.  The User's manual for a processor will list  the events that hardware will \
detect and cause an exception.  You  have to look at your system software source code \
to figure out if  your operating system supports a given exception.  In Linux, this  \
code is mostly in arch/ppc/head.S and arch/ppc/traps.c. You can get a copy of the 750 \
User's Manual at: http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/MPC750UM.pdf
The exception information is in Chapter 4.
Cheers,Becky