List:       linuxbios
Subject:    [coreboot] autoport of p8h61-m-lx2 boots + has anyone managed to install Windows on a sandy/Ivy (or
From:       Dave Widyaatmadja via coreboot <coreboot () coreboot ! org>
Date:       2021-04-15 2:30:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello, the folllowing is probably not the best-worded E-mail ever (especially as \
someone completely new here even though a laptop I use has been running Coreboot for \
some time), but I hope it can still be understood anyway and without coming off in a \
negative way.

Tl;DR:

1. Possible new Asus p8h61-m-lx2 port

2. Coreboot + PCI-E dGPU + Windows install how (if someone here has expertise in \
setting up something like that)?

3. where/how to get i3-2100 vbios?

1. I was tempted by a relatively well-priced p8h61-m-lx2 with the hope of \
compatibility with the  p8h61-m-lx preset, but I couldn't get the p8h61-m-lx2 to work \
with the p8h61-m-lx's preset, and while I haven't tried the one made for the \
p8h61-m-lx3 I have run Autoport on the p8h61-m-lx2 and (p.s. I don't really know what \
I'm doing) after some copying and pasting from the p8h61-m-lx folder and commenting \
out some of the lines Autoport generated it seems to boot. I think it may be a good \
idea to upload those Autoport results, but how exactly would I do that? (uploading \
the entire Coreboot directory complete with the GCC I believe would've been built \
inside of it along with various binary blobs would probably not be very wise?) I \
suspect just uploading the src/mainboard/system_manufacturer directory that was \
generated may be enough (or maybe do a new git clone of coreboot's repository \
manually 'patching' that with the generated folder plus some renaming and some edits \
to the relevant Kconfig files and uploading the 'patched' version somewhere?) but \
perhaps I missed something else Autoport spat out.

Working: ps/2 keyboard (in Seabios at least), i3-2100 iGPU with libgfxinit, PCI-E \
dGPU (booted with nomodeset but my video card doesn't seem to play well with Linux \
with the default settings regardless of BIOS) either with Graphics initialisation set \
to none or to the Card's vbios, Ethernet, Sound output to headphones, (probably all) \
USB ports, USB headers (only tested one at a time but all seem to work), PCI-E USB \
3.0 card (only tested in Seabios).

Problem: I only had one Sata storage drive connected and it seems only the one SATA \
port to which it was connected when I ran Autoport worked once Coreboot was installed \
(ran Autoport at least twice and different ports when Autoport ran seem to have \
resulted in different operational ports under Coreboot).

Untested: Suspend, etc

2. Does anyone have experience of Installing Windows on a desktop Sandy/Ivy Bridge \
(or perhaps Haswell, using a patch that was never merged notwithstanding) system with \
coreboot on it (set to use a dGPU's vbios, I don't think Windows' installer can be \
accessed when booting with libgfxinit)? I'm thinking about trying to install Windows \
on the system with coreboot present but as coreboot's documentation warned I was met \
with a BSOD. The closest I seem to have come to a solution is booting that system \
(with coreboot set to load a vbios blob) into a distro and then using SSDTtime to \
extract what I believe can be referred to as the ACPI's .aml file, decompiling that \
with iasl, and then have the result of that replace the dsdt.asl present in the \
motherboard's directory, and then rebuild coreboot and flash the resulting BIOS.

The problem then for me was that while the computer somehow made it to the windows \
installer without a bluescreen, I couldn't get any input from the keyboard or mouse \
to work.

I'm honestly about out of ideas and ready to give up on that exercise, but I suppose \
asking here one last time if someone actually has done something like that \
successfully before actually giving up can't hurt.

3. One idea I haven't properly tested on the p8h61-m-lx2: does someone know where a \
vbios for the i3-2100 can be obtained? One thing I haven't really tried is installing \
Windows with the iGPU's vbios (a laptop from that era being able to run windows 10 \
for me when compiled with the vbios was the reason I thought the entire idea of \
coreboot + dGPU + Windows should be possible). I've got an i3-2100, how can I get the \
correct vbios file for it (assuming it would work as well as on the laptop?). I've \
tried the vbios files from I believe "Driver Revision: \
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22520/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for-Windows-7-Windows-Vista-64-Bit-zip-?wapkw=15.22.58.64.2993 \
but none seem to work at all. While the web page implies that it only works with \
earlier iGPUs the readmes in the actual archive did make a reference to 2nd-gen \
processors, which kind of gave me hope.

Assuming I do manage to make it work with an iGPU vbios, would planning to have \
Windows be able to use a dGPU be overoptimistic?

Thanks in advance for the response.