List:       linuxbios
Subject:    [coreboot] Re: Can we get rid of SMMSTORE_IN_CBFS?
From:       Matt DeVillier <matt.devillier () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-04-14 11:59:04

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 6:49 AM Julius Werner via coreboot
<coreboot@coreboot.org> wrote:

> As I'm trying to port all existing CBFS uses to the new APIs that
> support verification, the CONFIG_SMMSTORE_IN_CBFS option is a bit of a
> problem: It's the only CBFS use case where coreboot is actually trying
> to write back into CBFS, and thus needs access to the raw flash
> offsets of files (which is something I'm trying to stop from leaking
> out of the abstraction).
>
> Does anyone still need this? As far as I know it was just a hack
> invented to backport SMMSTORE onto a Chromebook that couldn't make
> FMAP changes anymore, and we never ended up using it after all.

This is my recollection as well.

Unrelated -- who can I talk to about fixing the state of launching
something other than u-boot from the Alternative Bootloader Menu?
Tianocore has only ever worked on a handful of devices, and the lack
of console output on release firmware makes it difficult to debug.

> Anyone
> still using SMMSTORE today should be putting it in a separate FMAP
> section. Would anyone mind if I just remove the CBFS option?

I've only ever used the FMAP option, so fine by me