List:       linuxap-dev
Subject:    [LinuxAP-dev] Re: non-tcp remote configuration of a box
From:       Keith E Smith <keith () ksmith ! com>
Date:       2003-01-13 17:13:24

Rambling thoughts, looking for ideas, ...

Here's the situation I want to work around:

I have an AP with a hard-coded ip (like 100.100.100.1/24) that is
unknown to me.  It's running & happy, and has WEP enabled to an unknown
key.  It isn't going to ask for anything, it's going to come up and run.

Not being familiar with rarp, Can I *poll* the ethernet and ask who's
there to find the AP?  I was thinking of peeking in the udhcp code and
possibly do something with a 255.255.255.255 broadcast specific for the
AP.  It would be easy enough to bring up an alternate interface on the
fly once I know where to put it.

This could be important in a "mesh" situation where you have no way to
physically get to an AP, or to reprogram one from an unknown source.

A small daemon program running on the machine might do it, something
adaptive, a hack on udhcpc, something like that.

--
Keith Smith                 keith@ksmith.com
655 W Fremont Dr