List:       linuxap-dev
Subject:    [LinuxAP-dev] Re: [OpenAP-dev] MAC changer on LinuxAP/OpenAP ....
From:       Keith E Smith <keith () ksmith ! com>
Date:       2003-01-12 19:20:57

The ability to change a MAC address is determined by two things.  The
driver, and hardware.  On a normal piece of hardware the MAC is loaded
into it so that the firmware on the chip/card knows what to listen for.

The driver must support the ioctl, and the hardware must have this
functionality.

Both hostAP and the realtek driver support this.