List:       linuxap-dev
Subject:    Re: [LinuxAP-dev] Pretec 2M Flash Card
From:       "Brian C. Lane" <bcl () brianlane ! com>
Date:       2002-12-13 15:06:01

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:14:30AM -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> I got my Pretec 2MB flash card Wednesday and tried to get an image onto it
> this morning. The first hurdle was getting memory_cs.o (I had to compile the
> clients directory of pcmcia_cs).

  Here's a status update.

  To make a long and winding story short, I now have my Pretec
FA2002-P card working on my laptop. It really does work in the AP, I've
reflashed with it twice now.

  The secret is to make sure that the kernel pcmcia support really is turned
off/wiped out/gone. In my dinking around with trying to get hostap to flash
my USR2445 card I turned off kernel pcmcia support, wiped my module
directory tree (for that kernel) completely and installed the latest (3.2.3)
pcmcia-cs package.

  I also made sure that yenta_socket was not being loaded (this is a
customized RH 8.0 system I'm running on). Instead I load i82365 in my
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file:

PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=

  I then found that my Magic SRAM card was being loaded as anonymous memory
with no sram_mtd -- but it still works just fine. And my Pretec card was
automagically loading iflash2_mtd. Using the wrflash utility from the alios
bootloader (edit the Makefile to point to the pcmcia-cs include directory)
works great for reflashing the Pretec card.

  Flashing the AP works fine with both cards. It goes alot better if you have
a serial cable so you can see what's happening. Flashing takes about 2-3
minutes, maximum. So if it hasn't rebooted and blinked fast by then you
might try it again.

  Also, the USR2450 boots flakey (and it did this before I reflashed with
Linux), sometimes it will boot and other times it won't. I wonder if there
are any pullups/downs on the select line for flash/pcmcia boot. If not it
may be getting a glitch on the line and trying to boot from the pcmcia when
it isn't supposed to.

  So, I'm not keeping my Pretec card (knock on silicon that it keeps
working) and selling my Magic SRAM card. I'll sell it for $170, USPS
priority shipping included -- and at no extra chard it will be pre-loaded
with the nifty, handy-dandy, ultra-kool Keith Smith LinuxAP v2002-09-13
Linux image. All you have to do it pop it into your AP and reflash.

  Brian

--
 --[Inside 70.8F]--[Outside 44.8F]--[fozzy 68.9F]--[Drink 64.8F]--
Generated with DigiTemp http://www.digitemp.com