List:       linux1394-user
Subject:    Re: Warnings and errors from the firewire kernel modules
From:       Gioele Barabucci <dev () gioelebarabucci ! com>
Date:       2006-05-05 10:24:15

Stefan Richter wrote:
>>   | ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-00:1023
>
> This is en error condition, meaning that the ieee1394 driver was unable
> to get device type information from a node; most probably from the disk.
> However as you later, this error was recoverable.
Does this happen because my HD is not a real SCSI disk?

> --- Why does that sbp2 command fail:
> Alas, due to how sbp2 is implemented, sbp2 *cannot* recover from it.
> This is an issue which I hoped to fix already some months ago but didn't
> manage to do yet. I will certainly make an announcement on
> linux1394-user when I have respective patches ready. (Patches go usually
> only through the linux1394-devel list.)
I'll look forward for it

>> * My HD is never put to sleep, it is always on. Is this a fault of the
>> kernel or of my enclosure?
>
> This is no fault. There is no mandatory auto-spin-down feature for SCSI
> disks. Very few SBP-2 bridges implement an auto-spin-down feature on
> their own which is (supposed to be) fully transparent to the PC's OS.
Is there a way to tell to the kernel to care of spinning-down the disk after
a minute or two of inactivit?

Thanks for all your replies.

So I discover that my Genesys-based FW/USB box is not as good as I expected.
At least it works fine...
BTW, can you recommend me a FW/USB enclosure for 2.5" HDs or a chipset that
works fine with Linux and supports auto-spin-down? HD power management is
very important to me.

--
Gioele <dev@gioelebarabucci.com>