List:       linux1394-user
Subject:    Re: sbp2: sbp2util_node_write_no_wait failed
From:       Stefan Richter <stefanr () s5r6 ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       2005-11-05 12:07:01

Michael Brade wrote:

>>>These pauses aren't spent locked-up in sbp2. It is the period that the
>>>SCSI subsystem waits for completion of a task.
>>
>>I know... do you think I would put something at risk if I'd lower the
>>timeout to, say, 5 seconds? 30 seconds is *really* annoying.
>
> Well, I just did it now, I put
> #define SD_TIMEOUT              (7 * HZ)
> in drivers/scsi/sd.c and I can tell you, finally it's fun again to work with
> this hd :-) I'll see if it does any bad...

Perhaps you need to define this time-out specifically for normal I/O
(that which bothers you most; I think that would be sd_probe, perhaps
sd_prepare_flush too) and keep the standard time-out for the rest, like
spin-up, read capacity, cache sync on device removal, and so on.

Note to other readers: Don't do this at home. A shorter SCSI timeout is
only a hack, not a fix for sbp2's problems. It will just cause the
command abortions to happen at higher frequency.
--
Stefan Richter