List:       linux1394-user
Subject:    Re: Simultaneos Sharing of 1394 HDD
From:       Stefan Richter <stefanr () s5r6 ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       2003-12-15 21:49:27

On 15 Dec, Christopher Mc Carthy wrote:
> Can I simultaneously share a 1394 HDD between two computers (one running
> Windows, the other one running Linux)?
>
> A quick google suggests this is possible,
> <http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:NLEj7Q8Wn6cJ:www.databasejournal.com/f
> eatures/oracle/article.php/1572341+access+firewire+drive+simultaneously+wind
> ows+linux&hl=en&ie=UTF-8> (scroll down to the pic), with linux at least, and
> "if the chipset handles multiple logins" (chipset on the 1394 HDD I
> presume?).

Ask the vendor. Another term is "The SBP-2 bridge is multiple
initiator capable".

Doing a non-exclusive login under Linux is even simpler than
described in the article you found. You may have noticed that
there is a module load parameter for the sbp2 driver now exactly
for this task.

I don't know if there is a similar possibility on any closed
source OS, namely Windows.

After you managed to login non-exclusively from multiple hosts,
you are left with the problem of filesystem coherency (or lack
thereof). This is difficult enough for homogeneous host OSs and
effectively impossible with different OSs like Linux and Windows
together. Your only chance to let these two play together
(provided you managed to non-exclusively login into the disk from
Windows in the first place) is to mount the filesystem from both
OSs read-only. Or mount it only by one host at the same time. But
this is obviously not what you asked for.

> Has anyone done this?

As long as you mean who has done this under Linux only... The
article answers it --- at least the people at Oracle did, using
their own cluster filesystem. There are very few other file-
systems for this task, e.g. http://opengfs.sourceforge.net/ .
That site has got an introducing document about clustered storage
you might find interesting to read.
--
Stefan Richter