List:       linux1394-user
Subject:    Re: system freeze when removing ieee1394-cardbus card
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tr=F6ster?= <mail.to () troester ! li>
Date:       2003-02-24 20:05:24

Hi Stefan,

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:42:18 +0100 (CET)
Stefan Richter <stefanr@s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 19 Feb, Martin Tröster wrote:
> > whenever I unplug the firewire-pccard (whether
> > or not any devices are connected does not matter at all), the system
> > partially freezes,
>
> This means of course that you must compile the 1394 drivers as
> loadable modules, do not link them statically into the kernel.
Thanks for your help, unloading the modules before ejecting the pc-card
works fine. I suggest there should be a message added to the kernel that
tells the user not to use the drivers compiled into the kernel - not
everybody has a look into the driver's sources (where it is strongly
underlined that compiling into the kernel does not work right now).

In my case, the problem seems to be mostly related to the ohci1394.o
module, since removing the card without rmmod ohci1394 manually always
results in the following error:

Feb 24 12:48:52 tp kernel: ohci1394_1: Unrecoverable error, shutting
down card!
Feb 24 12:48:52 tp last message repeated 3 times
Feb 24 12:50:12 tp last message repeated 4 times

After this, the keyboard no longer works under X, but it is still
possible to sync and umount drives manually via sysrq, so the system
does not freeze completely - a behaviour I have witnessed with other
pc-cards before, but which was not reproducable on my system.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Martin