List:       linux1394-devel
Subject:    Re: Register access failure - please notify linux1394-devel@lists.sf.net
From:       Stefan Richter <stefanr () s5r6 ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       2012-03-25 12:46:18

On Mar 24 Robrecht Dewaele wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> During boot I saw the following message, so I complied
>
> [    8.654566] firewire_ohci: Register access failure - please notify
> linux1394-devel@lists.sf.net
> [    8.654756] firewire_ohci: Added fw-ohci device 0000:09:00.0, OHCI
> v1.10, 8 IR + 8 IT contexts, quirks 0x10
> [    8.654932] initcall fw_ohci_init+0x0/0x20 [firewire_ohci] returned 0
> after 50723 usecs
>
> In attachment you can find the full dmesg log, the output of lspci -vv,
> and the output of lsmod.
>
> I have a Dell Latitude 5420 laptop running arch linux, 64-bit:
> Linux gerbil 3.2.12-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 19 17:50:01 CET 2012
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thank you for the report.  When we added the "please notify linux1394-devel"
message, we assumed that this condition only happens very rarely on some
more exotic FireWire controllers.  Evidently it has recently occurred rather
frequently with O2 Micro controllers in Dell laptops.  Quoting your lspci
output:

09:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (rev \
05) (prog-if 10 [OHCI]) 09:00.1 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD \
controller (rev 05) (prog-if 01) 09:00.2 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. O2 \
Flash Memory Card (rev 05)

The "register access failure" condition is not properly handled by the driver
yet but I am slowly working on it.  It may cause trouble if you attempted to
use FireWire devices, but it can apparently also cause hibernation/restore to
fail even if no FireWire devices are ever used:
http://marc.info/?l=linux1394-devel&m=132533395400436

Until we get this properly fixed and the fix trickles down into your
distributor's kernel, if you do not need FireWire device support but want to
be sure that neither the driver nor the controller cause any trouble, you can
blacklist firewire-ohci so that udev does not automatically load it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_modules#Blacklisting

[PS, sorry that your posting was held back by sourceforge.net's moderation
system.  The list is unmoderated except if there are matches with a bunch of
anti-spam filters; it's not obvious to me though which rules singled your
message out.]
--
Stefan Richter