List:       linux1394-devel
Subject:    Re: iso in juju
From:       Stefan Richter <stefanr () s5r6 ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       2009-07-04 7:37:35

Dan Dennedy wrote on 2008-10-24:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Stefan Richter
> <stefanr@s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>> BTW, I was wondering if direct firewire-cdev access, alternatively to
>> going through libraw1394, would make sense in libiec61883.  In any case,
>> an IEC 61883 layer with minimal dependencies would certainly be
>> interesting for migrating FFmpeg (libavformat) from dv1394 to juju.

> Even more interesting is a kernel module for IEC 61883 so that DV and
> MPEG-2 can be supplied through V4L2., There are already other devices
> supplying these formats through V4L2, may as well unify the interface.

Besides ffmpeg/libavformat, also pwlib (alias ptlib, a library used by
teleconferencing applications, e.g. Ekiga) fell by the wayside.  I'm not
sure if it was mentioned here already; I just became aware of it
(again?) because Gentoo users noticed a build failure.

There is an AV/C input plugin and an IIDC input plugin in pwlib.  The
former uses the removed 1st generation raw1394 iso requests (and libavc
and libdv), and the latter uses libdc1394 v1.  However, pwlib also
happens to have a V4L2 plugin...
--
Stefan Richter