List:       linux1394-devel
Subject:    Re: sbp2: sbp2util_node_write_no_wait failed
From:       Stefan Richter <stefanr () s5r6 ! in-berlin ! de>
Date:       2005-11-05 18:50:19

Michael Brade wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2005 13:57, you wrote:
>>BTW, when you replaced the Prolific based enclosure by an Oxford 911
>>based one, did you check what's actually on the bridge board? Some
>>Prolific firmwares show strings in their config ROM that look similar to
>>what a OXFW911 firmware would show.
>
> Yup, I checked, there was a PL-3507 chip on it, no Oxford(compatible) chips.
> If that's not what you mean, I still have the firmware image around and I can
> send it to you if you want.

I meant the drive which you have now, not the one you sent back.

>>Google shows 158 hits for "aborting sbp2 command" +
>>"sbp2util_node_write_no_wait failed" but 1370 hits for "aborting sbp2
>>command" alone.
>
> Mmh. I guess I should have tried that as well :-} I skimmed through a few of
> them, and it seems either it's an older report (< 2.6.14) and/or
> serialize_io=1 cured the problem.

I know that the 1370-hit class of problems is still there. See my 2nd
is still affected under 2.6.14.

> I actually tried it with 2.6.13 at first
> and got the exact same messages as well (only "aborting sbp2 command", no
> write_no_wait errors). I didn't report them though since I saw that there was
> a new kernel with some changes in the sbp2 at that time. After the upgrade
> the error changed and that's where we are now. So I'd tend to think those old
> reports without the write_no_wait failure might not be valid anymore.

Interesting. Linux 2.6.14's changes in sbp2 and other ieee1394 drivers
cannot have had an impact on this. There were certainly enough other
changes at other places (like the SCSI subsystem) which influence more
or less subtly how the SBP-2 disk is fed commands.
--
Stefan Richter